Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 4

It is my fourth day in the hospital, and mostly because I'm bored I'm going to write more in detail about what's going on.

Let's start with the positive, shall we? I'm not dilated, and although I'm losing fluid my levels are still okay. All the nurses and the doctor keep saying my baby looks great, and I can feel him moving like crazy, so I'm glad for that. I was given steroid shots to help his lungs and magnesium sulfate to help his brain, and let me tell you that was fun- hah! I felt like I was on fire for 12 hours, but I guess the good news is that I'm done with that and it will help baby. Another good thing is that I'm done with my I.V. They were pumping lots of antibiotics in me to help prevent infection, but as of last night (as luck would have it, right after they did a new I.V. since my old one went bad) I'm done with the I.V., so all my antibiotics will be taken orally. They were monitoring my belly (baby's heart beat and my contractions, which are non existent) ever 6 hours, but now it's down to once a day. I also can get up every once in a while to move around. These are all good things because it means I'm stable. It's nice not to be completely strapped to a bed with all kinds of things attached to me. I feel like I have a little freedom.

So, here's the bad news, which really is that bad it's just not great. Obviously, I'm here and not home. I will not be leaving until baby comes. I still leak fluid every so often, but thankfully it's not a continual gush. Right now the goal is to make it to 34 weeks, which is about 6 weeks from now. Any sign of infection, like a fever, and that baby is coming out. So I gotta stay well! My doctor informed me today that if I start contracting he'll kind of ignore it unless it gets real bad because the last thing he wants to do is take a baby out early that could have stayed longer. That makes sense to me, and I completely agree with him. Hopefully everything goes well until 34 weeks, which I think should be about July 15th.

Noah was born exactly at 34 weeks. He weighed 4 lbs. 13 oz. and was the cutest, healthiest looking baby! He only had to be in the NICU for a week, and even that was just a precaution. He probably could have come home as early as a normal baby and would have been just fine. I told Noah that if his brother is as strong as he was, he'll be just fine. Every time I say or think those words it brings tears to my eyes. I remember how scary it was to have a baby come early but how reassuring it was to know he was so healthy and strong. I pray that will happen again.

So far baby is very strong! They watch for certain things when they watch his heartbeats, and they nurses are saying he's doing things they usually see in older babies, not 27 1/2 weekers. Plus, he is such a kicker! I must just have another Noah who is so anxious to get here! Who can blame him? He's probably heard his brother and sister so much that he can't wait to get out and meet them! In the last week or so Clara started kissing my belly and saying "Hi" to brother, and Noah puts his hands on my belly every night. It's his way of hugging baby. This baby is going to be loved, that is for sure!

More good news is that I get to play the piano in the lobby. I got permission from my doctor and from the people in charge of volunteers, so as soon I get some music here (and have stuff to clean myself up- I look very scary! My doctor asked what he could do for me, and said a makeover?) I'll be able to go down daily if I want to play for a while. I'm really looking forward to that!

I've seen the kids everyday since Monday. Today Noah brought me some paper flowers he made with the babysitter and also some homemade PB cookies. They are doing so well with this so far, especially Miss Clara who is normally attached to my hip with glue, nails and a rope! I hope they can hang in there the whole time. And I can't say enough about Joel. He's so wonderful! He deserves Father of the Year this Father's day! I just wish I could something special for him. I guess that will have to wait, along with a lot of other things.

Thanks for all your prayers and words of comfort and support! We have the best friends and family in the whole world! We knew it wouldn't be hard to find people to help us because you're all so wonderful. Thank you!

Well, you'll be hearing from me again. I'll be here all summer!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So happy to hear all the good! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I work L&D and know all to well about some of the things you are going through. I can only imagine though the emotional tow this most have on you and your family. Hang in there! I've seen wonderful things from 27 weekers and know God will bless you guys!! Love from the Perry Fam.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Mari!! I am glad that the baby is doing well and that the doctor seems optimistic about things. That is great that they are going to let you play the piano. That is always a great stress reliever for me.

Marianne said...

Thanks guys!

Sharlee said...

Good to hear from you. You seem in good spirits. Keep us updated.
I was thinking about you this morning and wondering if you get lonely. I know I would. I'm glad everything looks as good as it can under the circumstances and that you get to play the piano! Fun.

Andrea said...

I keep wracking my brain for something I could bring you to do that would help pass the time. I am drawing a blank. Over and over. Any ideas? I am sure we will be down that way before too many more weeks pass, and I would love to come visit and have something to give you that would be of use. If you think of anything, please let me know! I cannot imagine sitting in a hospital for that long, and my sympathies are with you, although it sounds like you are looking on the bright side, like always. You are awesome! Keep up the good work! We love you and will continue our daily prayers in your (and family and baby) behalf.

p.s. I keep thinking what a blessing computers are! Seriously, WHAT would a person do for three months in a hospital bed without modern technology? Yikes!

Marianne said...

Thanks Andrea. I'll think of something. And you're right- I love being able to have this computer with me! Joel's being very generous leaving it with me!