30 weeks today! Yay!! And in one day I'll have been here 3 weeks (I'm not gonna say how many more I have to go, so don't ask).
So today while I was watching T.V. (something I do a lot more than usual), a commercial came on for the Grand America in Salt Lake. Right now they're doing this thing where you can nominate someone to have a free 2 night stay. I actually nominated Joel, and I still can't believe they didn't pick him. Oh well. Anyway, this commercial had this husband praising his wife who is constantly doing things with and for their kids. In his words, "If she has a spare minute, she spends it with her kids."
I'm sorry, but I really dislike hearing about moms like that. It just makes me feel like a horrible mom. And if you're a mom like that then good for you. I am not like that, not even close. Personally I don't think it's healthy to be that way. I myself get cranky when I haven't had "me time," so I take that time whenever it's available. Granted, my problem is that I probably take too much "me time," so the balance is off in other direction. I've been talking about how when I get out this place (this place that I'm starting to have real special feelings towards) I'm going to spend more time with my kids, but that does not mean I'm going to give up on me. It's important to do things you enjoy. For me, it makes me a happier person, and when I'm a happier person, I'm a happier mom. So there.
On a different note, they had this blogger on Good Things Utah this morning, demonstrating science experiments using balloons that your kids will love (heck, I would too)! You can find the info on her blog as well. I totally want to try this. I may have Joel bring the supplies here one day, and we'll have some balloon fun in the hospital.
The mom blogger that presented these ideas said her daughters literally had fun for about 2 hours, and I bet while they were playing this mom did something for her. See, you can be a fun, interactive mom and still take time for yourself.
If I see that commercial again I will probably throw up.
Friday, June 17, 2011
Day 20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Amen! Amen! Amen! I'm not that kind of mom either. Love my "me" time and that is probably why I actually LIKE work. It's nice to get away once in a while.
Uh huh. Women who are in love with their children, instead of their husbands, have issues. It is just another (there are several, actually) socially acceptable (and even highly praised, sought-after, and jealousy-inducing) way of being dysfunctional. If we (or her husband) were to see the whole picture, we would probably feel sorry for her.
Or at least that's what we can keep telling ourselves to sooth the guilt.
*wink*
Post a Comment