I was told I need to blog this story, although my writing won't do it justice at all I'm sure. But here I go.
The first half of my Easter Sunday didn't turn out as nicely as I hoped it would. By the time we got to church I was a little frazzled at getting myself and two kids ready by myself. Plus we had to be there 30 minutes early for a rehearsal as I would be singing in a trio in Sacrament meeting. I was happy when the meeting started and I could sit and try to enjoy the Spirit of the Easter day. I couldn't fully relax because of having to sing in the trio plus lead the choir in the closing song. Time came for the trio, and it went well. Clara came up with me, as she always does when I have to go up on the stand, but she just sat on Joel's lap.
During the last speaker things got rough. Noah was upset with me because I wouldn't let him go to the bathroom. He started getting too vocal about his frustrations. I was already on edge with him because he had already been having a difficult time remembering to whisper, and he and Clara weren't sharing their crayons very well (a consequence to that one is that I won't be taking crayons and coloring books anymore). Anyway, my patience with Noah was pretty much gone, so needless to say, I wasn't really feeling the Spirit. Just at this moment it was time to get up and lead the choir. I tried to put my feelings aside as best I could.
Remember how I said Clara always comes up with me and sits on Joel's lap? Well, this time Joel was singing (because I made him), so the only thing left for Clara to do apparently was to crawl between my legs and stand up and down (underneath my skirt, mind you). Meanwhile I'm leading the choir and trying to ignore what's going on down there. Then I started to get concerned about what the congregation was seeing. They probably wouldn't be able to ignore it so well. Finally I stopped leading, bent down and moved Clara away from me. She started to cry. I jumped back into my leading (the choir kept singing on their own) just in time to finish the last few measures of the song. The poor choir members had amuzed and confused faces. I'm sure mine resembled an angry cherry. I could not get off of that stand fast enough.
I wish I could say I laughed it off, but with everything that lead up to it and with a little help from my pregnancy hormones doing there worst on my emotions, I felt more like crying it off, which I did in the in the restroom after taking the kids to their primary classes. It's funnier now that it's been a few days, and I've told and re-told the story. Joel thought it was funny from the moment it happened. If there's a next time (please no!), hopefully I can be more good humored about it.
P.S.- I talked to a member of our ward today, and she assured me that no one saw anything they shouldn't see. No one knew what Clara was doing. I'm not sure if that's good or not. If they didn't know why I stopped leading and looked angry enough to [I need Joel to insert an anology here], they probably just think I'm crazy and weird. I guess I am those things, but I try really hard to keep that a secret!
P.S. 2- This baby is moving like crazy!
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Exposed on Easter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Marianne, this post reminds me of every Sunday. Granted, I don't have to lead or sing, but I am almost always frustrated enough to cry by the end of Sacrament meeting, and my children inevitably do something that inadvertently leads to my skirt rising above and beyond decent limits (or it happens on the way into church, thanks to the wind vortex created by those silly double door entryways). Thankfully, it's just in our row, where (hopefully!) no one ever notices. But it is still embarrassing. Almost all of my most embarrassing moments happen at church. It must be because it is the ONE place I go regularly where I try to be proper. Oh, I feel for you. Luckily church-goers are generally kind-hearted, understanding souls.
I'm so glad you posted about it. Someday you will look back and be glad. :-) I'm sure anyone in the audience with kids completely understood.
I'm sure the spirit was still felt. How frustrating, but at the same time, the idea of having a small child playing inside your skirt (in front of a CONGREGATION) and not being able to do anything about it-- kinda funny... someday.... right?
It is funny now. Just wasn't at the moment.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. That has happened to me in song practice, but never during the performance (knock on wood).
Oh, and I have been meaning to tell you that I have Clara's hairbow, the one that matches her cute handmade pants and shirt. So please remind me to send it with Joel when he grabs food from Layton. Or I could just hold it hostage until we do something together again:)
So funny, Marianne! Why is it that those crazy, frustrating, I'm-going-to-strangle-my-child moments when we feel close or are reduced to tears generally make such great tales to tell...at a later date? I was so glad that the story didn't end with, "Joel rushed over, stood behind me, and whispered quickly that my skirt was no longer covering that which ought to remain covered" or something horrible! WHEW!
That is kind of funny, but just so you know I didn't notice a thing. I thought you all did a great job!!
Post a Comment