Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chicken Saltimbocca



Some of you were interested in my Valentine's Dinner, so here's the recipe.

Chicken Saltimbocca

4 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 large fresh sage leaves
8 prosciutto slices (the package I bought only had six, and I wasn't about to buy 2! You can use bacon or even deli sliced ham for the last chicken breast)
1 t. butter
1 1/2 t. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 head broccoli florets
1 lb. fresh green beans
8 oz. carrots, julienned
1 large red bell pepper, julienned
2 t. sherry vinegar (this was quite expensive. You'd probably be okay with red wine vinegar.)
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. fine herbs, like Mrs. Dash

Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4" thickness. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place one sage leaf and one prosciutto slice on top. Then do the same on the back. Roll chicken and secure with kitchen twine (good luck finding kitchen twine. I used some regular string and it worked fine.)

Melt butter in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Sear chicken on both sides and finish cooking in the oven in your pan if it's oven safe or transfer it to a small casserole dish. Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (the recipe said only 15-20, but mine took longer to reach 160 degrees).

Meanwhile, melt more butter (1-2 T.) and 1-2 t. olive oil in a large skillet. Cook onions until starting to brown. Add other veggies and cook until still slightly crisp. Deglaze pan with sherry vinegar. Season veggies with salt and pepper; toss in fine herbs. Serve over chicken.

These veggies are so good and would be good with any meal.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Alright! Now I know what to make for next month's Love Day celebration (we decided to have a Valentine-ish day once/month)!

Mat and Brooke said...

That sounds sooo delish!! And it must be if the Olive Garden dude loves it! :)

Marianne said...

Thanks Brooke! It was super easy. You should all try it out. (Although, it was slightly expensive, but not as much as going out to eat.)

Ashlee said...

It looks yummy! I love prosciutto with chicken! I agree, it is expensive though. That's fun, the dinners at home are so nice and romantic. The music makes all the difference too! How are you feeling? Has this been a good pregnancy for you? You have a good excuse for not posting FOREVER! I missed you! When can you get together, we need to visit.