I now have a child in kindergarten and a six year old!. It seems like I've been counting down the years until this time in my life. I'm glad it's here, for my sake as well as Noah's, but it feels a little weird. I never expected to get teary about it, but when we took him to school looking so grown up and handsome and we sent him on his way with his teacher and all those other kids, I couldn't help feeling sentimental about it all. Dad gave him a blessing before we headed off, so that added to the emotions. It was a big moment in his life as well as ours.
The first day we left for home without him, Clara asked sadly, "Where Noah?" and she screamed with delight when we picked him up later! She still asks every day where he is, but it's not as sad as on Monday. We enjoy walking with him to school and giving him a hug and kiss goodbye. This new schedule is going to take some getting used to, but I'm going to enjoy having a few hours with just me and Clara.
He's been ready to start school for a long time, so I knew he'd have no problem going. His teacher is super nice and some of the kids in our ward are in his class. He brings home a picture every day that he's colored very colorfully, he took his Pooh Bear to show-and-tell, and he learned how to spell "red." He was very excited about that last one. He's also learned some new fun songs that he's excited to share with us. He dresses up nicely in his new school clothes and looks so handsome and grown up in them, and he loves sporting his superhero backpack.
Today is his birthday- 6 years old! So he got to take treats to class to share with the kids and they sang "happy birthday" to him. We're celebrating as a family on Sunday because Joel is out of town until Saturday night, but we tried to have a fun day. He woke up to balloons all over the kitchen floor and a banner on the wall the says, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Then I made pancakes with chocolate chips for breakfast. This afternoon we went to the Tree House Museum for a few hours, watch the movie his best friend George gave him- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- and went to McDonald's Play Place for dinner. We had a few bumps along the way, but I hope he had a fun birthday. He wanted to open a few presents today, and he got a light saber and some art supplies from Grandma Svedin. Sunday he'll get a couple more.
I can't believe how big he is! He started out so tiny and has grown up so tall and handsome. He has such a fun personality and imaginative mind. It's pretty fun having him around. He is a sweet boy who wants to do what's right. We sure love him!
Friday, September 3, 2010
Six Years Old and Off to Kindergarten!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
What a handsome boy! He's gotten so big!
Awe, my little Noah. I remember holding him (and not wanting to give him back) when he was SOoooo tiny. Tell him Happy Birthday for us!
helpful hint: do back-to-school blessings the night before to avoid over-emotionality. (it IS emotional, though, huh? Every year it kills me)
He looks so grown up in his school clothes! What a handsome boy!!! I love that Clara got so excited to pick him up from school. Your kids are definitely cuties!
I don't know when or how I missed this post. Noah looks so handsome in his school clothes--and happy too. I hope he has a wonderful school year and that you get to enjoy Clara a little bit all by yourself.
This year I was only emotional about Emmett (he started a new school--middle school- with new teachers, bus drivers, kids, etc) and I actually cried when I drove past the high school later that day, thinking about my baby Spencer and feeling the same feelings I felt when I dropped him off at kindergarden ten years ago.
Post a Comment