Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Look What I Made!

I was perusing through the blog Make it- Love it, and I happened upon this tutorial on reconstructing an ill-fitting dress into something new that you love. I thought it was such a good and simple idea, so I went to my closet, sure there was something in there I could mess with. Lo and behold, I found this "pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen" dress (that's what Joel calls it):

(I didn't take a picture before I dissembled it, but you get the idea of it's original look)
I got this last summer on clearance at Down East for about $5. It was such a good buy, that even though it didn't look that good on my non-pencil thin body, I wore it occasionally anyway, thinking that if I wore it enough times it would eventually look cute on me. The poor dress was not made for me. Aside from the top looking bad, the dress was a little too short. It covered everything but just barely, and you know how uncomfortable that can be. This year and forever more it was destined to remain in my closet, making it a perfect candidate for this little reconstruction project.
I cut off the itsy-bitsy top, made a casing for an elastic and was done with the whole thing in about 15 minutes. Joel was blown away by how fast my dress became a skirt. Here's the finished product:



Don't worry, I won't always be sporting these lovely flip-flops. I just happened to be wearing them when Joel snapped the picture.
I have another project that I wanted to show off. It's not done, but I'm so excited about how it's turning out that I wanted to give you a sneak peak.
My very first scrap quilt! I had all these darling leftover scraps from all the skirts I've been making, so they're being put to good use.

Don't worry. I won't forget to post a picture when it's all done.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so crafty! I'm loving the way the quilt is turning out. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Love the skirt! It looks awesome on you! The quilt is going to be so adorable as well. I wish I was more crafty.

Sharlee said...

You're so handy! Cute cute.

Andrea said...

I have that same dress in yellow! Maybe I'll have to copy you - except that those kinds of skirts looks not-so-cute on my hippy mid-section. I was thinking of wearing it with leggings or maybe skinny jeans and stilettos.

I love your scrap quilt! It's almost as cute as you!

Marianne said...

Andrea, I bet that dress looks so much better on your skinny little frame! And I bet it would be adorable over skinny jeans and stilettos! Do it!

Oh, and thank you- all of you. You make me feel good :)

linds said...

That's awesome! I am so overwhelmed by sewing, but have a goal to starting learning soon! Thanks for the inspiration, you're so talented!!

Kara said...

Hi Marianne,
Tami just showed me your blog and the cute stuff you've been making. Love the skirt you made for Eli, it is adorable!!
Kara