Friday, April 10, 2009

Two Years Later...

About two years ago, when I was pregnant with Clara, I started a project. I thought my kitchen table would look so cute painted white with a crackle finish. I thought it would add the cutest touch to my cheerful kitchen. My kitchen chairs were screaming to be painted too. It was a good project to tackle, and I fully intended to finish it, which I did. Two years later.
Obviously I hadn't planned this little project would take so long, but you know how these things seem simple but never turn out that way. When I started it I was all gung-ho about it. I grabbed my can of primer, rolled up my sleeves, dipped my brush in and went to work. My high hopes of having a quick and painless project were soon dashed, however, when I noticed my primer had the consistency of skim milk (it's bad enough to drink the stuff- try painting with it), but I refused to admit it had gone bad. I was determined to have a beautiful table by the end of the day. So I did my best with my runny excuse for primer and somehow got the whole table coated with it. When it was dry I excitedly went to work painting on the blue color that would crackle through the top white coat. My denial could only last a few more moments. Unsurprisingly, the primer did not work, which meant my blue paint was not sticking to my glossy finished table. I stubbornly kept at it until I finally gave up, relinquishing to the fact that I'd have to start over another day. Well, as I said before, I was pregnant and soon after got too large to be able to sit on the floor and paint a table. My project would have to wait...and wait...and wait...
Until...
(drum roll please)
Ta Da!!
It was a long time coming, but I'm just glad it's done. I'm happy with how it turned out. It makes our kitchen very cheerful. (Sorry, no before pictures.)

Here is a closeup of of the crackle. Do you like it? I kinda messed up, but I think it still turned out okay (these pictures are very forgiving).


Here's my cute little flower I painted on each of the chairs.




*GRRRRR! Why will blogger NEVER do paragraphs for me! I type it in paragraphs, but when I post it they disappear and morph into one annoying giant paragraph!! It drives me crazy! So, I apologize for the ugliness of this post. It looked better when I typed it.

6 comments:

Blake and Rachele Burtenshaw said...

You did such a great job Marianne. I wish I was as creative as you.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I love the painted flower that coordinates with the wall color.

Unknown said...

It looks FANTASTIC!!! I love the crackle paint. SO SO SO darling!

Kim said...

Marianne, that looks great! I'm sure it looks so cute in your kitchen. You did a great job.

Andrea said...

Wow! I'm impressed that it ONLY took you two years! I have projects dating back five or more. Yay for blogger (even though they are conspiring against you and the use of paragraphs) for making it possible for me to see your projects! It gives me a little motivation to tackle some of my own.

Lacey said...

Sounds like me. I have a hard time finishing projects and have a few right now I need to crack down and just complete. Hmmmm...we'll see! Your table is darling! I love the finished product.