
Here's our excitement for the day that broke up the monotony of another Monday afternoon. After Joel took off for work, I put on a movie for Noah so I could enjoy a little nap. Well, that nap was put on hold until..., well, tomorrow I guess. Joel came back in the house and called for me to come outside quickly. I thought something bad had happened with how he was reacting. But when I got outside he showed me this bird just hanging out on my neighbor's steps. We quickly decided it was a cockatiel and wondered where on Earth it came from. It obviously was someones pet, since those aren't exactly native to Utah. It made me sad to think someone had lost their pet. We decided we should try to help it, so Joel tried to get it to perch onto a stick. If he had succeeded in that I'm not sure what our next move would have been. It's not like a we have an extra bird cage lying around in our house. Well, he didn't succeed, and the bird flew up and perched on top of our neighbor's balcony thing (yes, Lindsay, that's your balcony thing). Joel had to go to work, but he told me I should call animal control. I did, and they said they'd send someone. Noah and I went in the house to wait for someone to come. I made periodic checks on our little bird friend. He stayed in that spot all afternoon. He was still there over an our later when the animal control guy finally came (I was slightly bugged that I missed my nap). He was no help at all. He said there was nothing he could do and left. So, Noah and I made some visits to neighbors to see if they were missing a bird but to no avail. This whole time that bird did not move. I think he was basking in the heat of the day. He stayed there from 2:30 until at least 5:30 when we went in for dinner. I still felt bad that someone was missing their bird, so I tried calling an animal hospital to see if they could do anything. Her suggestion was call animal control, but I informed her how helpful they were. Her next best suggestion was to call the Ogden Nature Center, but when I tried them they were closed for the night. I was bugged that there was nothing I could do. I'm sure the bird will survive just fine, but I feel bad for the owners. On the other hand, the bird probably is enjoying some nice freedom, away from his cage. So, maybe I should be happy for him. Regardless, I am bugged at how non helpful animal control was. He could have at least tried. Anyway, that was our excitement for the day.
5 comments:
That does sound frustrating. Did you see the bird again this morning?
Marianne, you are a Saint! I would have just forgotten about the bird and not done anything about it. It's nice to know there are people out there like you.
How fun! That was so nice of you to help the bird. I am sure he is enjoying some freedom. So, I haven't read blogs for almost a month, and I was reading yours about how you started a new blog and I think that it is AWESOME whwat you are doing! I checked it out and will most likely be making it a weekly reading! :) You are awesome. I still would love to get together and learn how to sew! :) I will try to get ahold of you in the near future.
That is so sweet to care for a bird (even if he did make you miss your little siesta!). Just think, your act of kindness put another brick in your mansion in heaven. Where you can take naps for as long as you want. At least I hope so! :)
I love how thoughtful you are of little animals! Great story (:
Post a Comment