Sitting In An Old Brown Rocker
I have a favorite moment
Near the close of each day,
When it's just me
And my delicious little you
Sitting in an old brown rocker.
I scoop you up
And hold you close,
As my mother did with me.
Your tummy is fed and happy, and
Wrapped in the blanket
Grandma made for you,
Your body is warm and cozy.
Nestling in tight, you
Rest your head next to my heart.
I feel your supple little body
Relent and melt into mine.
It feels as if my arms were meant
For nothing else but to hold you.
I press my lips on your soft head, then
Resting my cheek against your skin,
I breathe in its sweet fragrance.
I sing you a lullaby, and
You like it.
I know by the sweet smile
Hiding behind your binky.
As we sit here,
Gently rocking,
We gaze into each other's eyes.
Speaking only with our hearts,
I think you tell me you love me,
And I tell you I love you too-
So much that it almost hurts.
You have me bewitched,
And I'd be perfectly content
If we could stay like this forever-
All snug and secure,
Sitting in an old brown rocker.
But, your tired eyes grow heavy.
They can resist no more,
And your eyelids slowly close.
Away you are drifting...
Drifting...
-Marianne Orton
*Although this poem was inspired by Clara, I know had these same feelings rocking Noah as a baby. So, I dedicate it to both my children and all who will come in the future.




6 comments:
Marianne...I am so very impressed. That poem is AMAZING!! Seriously. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing it with me. You are very talented.
Private now? How do you do that? I have been toying with the idea. I love your poem - it is precisely what I think of my own babies. Way to go!
That is great, Marianne! What perfectly sweet thoughts and words. It made my throat get tight, remembering those moments with my own babies and still with Emmett. There is nothing more spiritual or sweet as those precious times with our babies.
That's my favorite moment of the day too, and you captured it beautifully. I'm glad things are going well for you guys! It looks like you've had a blast this summer!
That is a great poem. Your painted a perfect picture in my mind. I love rocking my boys, but I can only do it when they are sleeping because unfortunately neither of them are snugglers. Again, your poem was really good.
Oh, Marianne...that was so beautiful! Isn't it such a blessing to be a Mommy?! I just love the rocking and the bald headed kisses and the sweet, sweet baby smell. Ok, now I'm baby hungry. An 18 month old boy doesn't really like to sit still very long!
Post a Comment