Thursday, May 1, 2008

Update

Remember awhile back when I vented about my frustrations with Noah freaking out whenever we leave some place fun? Well, I have good news. Today we ventured to the library, the scene of the incident I vented about and also the first time we've been back since. I warned Noah over and over in the car ride there that when I say it's time to go, I don't want any screaming fits. Then I warned him again right outside the library doors, and I promised myself I would remain calm and patient if he still would end up throwing a fit.

We had fun playing with the toys, reading books, playing with kids, and visiting with the two library parakeets. Then I told him it was time to go as soon as I checked out our books. He didn't make one squawk about not wanting to go. He even helped give the librarian our books. Then as soon as we were done he walked right out the door, completely and totally scream free! I made sure to give him a big hug and kiss to tell him how proud of him I was for not screaming and throwing a fit when it was time to leave. Today's trip was such a different experience compared to last time. We all left happy and glad that we had a fun family outing. I'd much rather have those feelings than "I want to strangle my three-old" feelings. We may just make a trip to the library a weekly event now. I am very proud of Noah. He's a sweet boy, and I love him lots!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Yay!! Congrats Marrianne! Way to go Noah!

Sharlee said...

Oh good! That is great, Marianne. Makes you want to keep being a Mom after all, doesn't it?

Andrea said...

Hooray! Good job Marianne - and Noah! It makes life so much more enjoyable when children behave, and gives us moms hope that maybe we're not the horrible, rotten people we sometimes think we are.