Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Home Sweet Home

This is the house in Payette that Joel grew up in. When his parents bought it it was in a very sad condition, but the whole family worked hard and fixed it up. From what I've been told, it turned out beautiful. Unfortunately, I never got to see it. Joel moved from that house to South Jordan when he was about 14 years old (and boy, am I glad he did or else we never would have met!). I wish I could have seen it because I hear nothing but wonderful memories from that place and how it was the jewel of that little town in Idaho. Whenever we go to Idaho for family reunions we always pass through Payette and drive by his old house. It's still a nice place, but Joel says it's nothing compared to how it was when they lived there. I can tell it makes him sad to see it now, knowing he can't just walk in the front door anymore. He really misses that place. There really is no place like home.

8 comments:

Sharlee said...

Hey! That's the house I grew up in too! That is a current picture of the house and it looks like they've added a cute air conditioner or something on the front and lots of trees and plants that weren't there before. When I've driven by it in the past few years it looks like a jungle. The house isn't the shining star it use to be. But it still brings back oh, so many memories of my wonderful childhood. It was such a fun place to live. p.s. Marianne--call me thismorning if you see this before you listen to your phone messages or check your e-mail! Thanks.

Mattie Rae said...

I remember that house too! Being Joel's cousin and also living in Payette, I have some fond memories of that house too. Like the scary larry dungeon where all the canning jars were. And I remember when they stuck those electrode things in the grass to make the worms surface. Good times!

Andrea said...

Awww...poor old house. It looks pretty sad now-a-days. I hate seeing it. I'd rather have my memories. Last year when we went to Payette for my HS reunion I drove past it, bawled, and decided never to drive past again.

Lacey said...

That house is beautiful! I can totally relate. My parents moved from the house I grew up in and it is so sad to see it now. I love your blog. Noah's drawings are so cute! Aren't they so special...whenever I get one from Carter, it melts my heart! ;)

Rindee said...

Oh, how I love that house, too. I spent many-a-summer vacation making memories here with Andrea. I loved the house. It was so unique, and thanks to Aunt Annette and Uncle Mark, it FELT good, too. There was always a feeling of love and peace there. Joel was always such a good sport to do whatever we told him to do. I have some pretty silly pictures of Andrea and I in dress ups thanks to Joel. The trampoline, the Walnut tree with the tree house, the thicket in the back behind the shed, tomato and cucumber sandwiches...some of my most pleasant childhood memories in that house.

I remember the first time we drove by our old house in Payette after we moved. It was so sad. The grass was too long, and the planters were full of tall weeds. They had done nothing with our glorious vegetable garden, and the garage door was hanging askew and there was a monstruous dog barking from inside the house. That was heart-wrenching to see someone not care for your beloved home. It seems the current owners care for it better than that, but I don't even bother to drive by it anymore.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

It's true that there is no place like home. I just hope my kids have great memories of a home like that some day. I also wanted to tell you that I love the fact that you have the cheeseburger song from Veggie Tales on your blog. I watched silly songs with Larry the other day with my sister-in-law and her kids. We rated the cheeseburger song as our second favorite out of all the songs.

We are the Dall family said...

I had to make my blog private. If you would like to still view it, e-mail me at dallrc@aol.com

Thanks!

The Wrights said...

I am so glad you found us!! You have a beautiful family! Stay in touch!(: