Monday, April 21, 2008

Thought of the Week

Well, I haven't exactly been that great at reading my scriptures this week. In my defense I haven't been home much. But I also must admit that I have been too engrossed in other books. Speaking of which, I have a book recommendation- "Book of A Thousand Days" by Shannon Hale. I loved it. If you enjoy fantasy you'll like it too. Anyway, I did get a chance to reread Elder Ballard's talk from conference. So, the scripture or thought of this week comes from his talk. Here it is:

"The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." -Anne Quindlen, "Loud and Clear"

I find that when I try to live in the moment more and stop worrying about getting things done, I actually enjoy motherhood so much more.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

So true. However, do you ever have days that have NO treasure-worthy moments? For me, today is one of those days: throw-up all over in the car, carseat, garage, Samera's clothes, shoes, socks, hair, my clothes, shoes, hair...you get the picture. Oh what fun it is to ride in a puke-infested car! Poor Sylas has a fever and is a huge grouch-pot, too. If I can just stop feeling like I am going to throw up (from cleaning it up, not because I'm actually sick) maybe I could find some fun moment to live in today!

Sharlee said...

I loved that quote from Elder Ballard's talk. It takes a lot of patience to live in the moment, doesn't it? It is really hard for me but it is so important. I don't want to be sad, when all my kids are grown and gone, that I can't remember a thing we did together cuz I was too busy bossing everyone around or organizing, cleaning, or whatever! Thanks for the reminder.

Lacey said...

What a great idea to do a thought or scripture for the week! Thank you so much for sharing that quote. It really is so easy to get caught up in life and to forget that this moment isn't going to last forever. YEA! on your new windows. Your house looks darling from the pictures.

Ruth said...

Hi! I LOVE that book! I just finished it last week.

I tried to email you but it came back to me undeliverable. Just wanted to know if you would like to pick the book for our online book club to read in June. Check out the blog for details on what the responsibilities are and then let me know! If you're too busy or just don't want to, it's no big deal. Thanks!

Andrea said...

just read your comment on my blog - sorry you're having one of THOSE days...that's awful. I've had a few of those myself this week (I know, you'd think as spoiled as I was last week, it would spill over and help me through the week, but no. It just makes me wish I were going out of town again this weekend), and I know you can do it! You're an awesome mom, Marianne! If you ever do need a break tho, how's about a little road trip to the thriving metropolis of Pocatello? Just say the word, and I'll be ready to PARTY!