I h
ave rediscovered a hobby of mine- reading. I loved to do it when I was elementary school age. I remember loving the Anne of Green Gables series, and I remember reading and crying through Where the Red Fern Grows. I loved Judy Bloom, Beverly Clearly, and the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books. But as I got older and my life got filled with more homework and other things, I forgot about my love for reading. Being in college on top of being a mom made that problem even worse. I never felt like I had the time to sit down and leisurely read a book.
But now that I'm done with school (it's been a whole year already! Hooray!), I've recently began reading more and loving every minute of it. Aside from being busy, another reason I didn't read much was because I didn't really know what to read. But I have a sister who loves to read and is recommending books for me. I also recently joined an online book club with some friends, so that's been helpful too. Another thing that has helped is author's websites. They usually have a list of books they like to read, and I figure if I like the author, I'll
like what they like to read.
I am just loving this resurrected hobby. I find that I'd rather read than watch a movie, which is saying a lot since I love movies. I pick up my current book of choice at every second I get: nursing, during kids' naps, outside while Noah's playing in the dirt, when the kids go to bed, or whenever. I try really hard not to read while the kids are awake, so that I don't turn into a neglectful
Mom, but occasionally I admit that I give in to temptation. I also have to try to make sure I'm reading other things -like the scriptures. I admit that I need to be better at that one.
I think a big reason as to why I'm loving reading lately is it is a wonderful escape from the wonderful, but sometimes monotonous and stressful life of a mother. I feel like I can escape from everything into a whole other world. Since I have many nights alone, as Joel most often is working at that time, one of my favorite things to do is get into my jammies, hop into bed, snuggle into the covers, and read my book. It's so fun! I love it! Here are some books I've read, am reading and want to rea
d:
- A Train to Potevka by Mike Ramsdell- reading now
- Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer- done (read Twilight twice- I was a little bit obsessed but I'm recovered now)
- Austenland by Shannon Hale-done (Great!)
- Book of A Thousand Days by Shannon Hale- done (Awesome!)
- A Countess Below Stairs- want to read
- Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf- want to read
- Goose Girl by Shannon Hale- want to read
- Princess Academy- want to read






1 comments:
Thanks for the book references! I want to start reading again, but I never know what to read - don't want to waste my time reading a book, just to find that I hate it, but have to finish it anyway because I already invested so much in it, ya know? I am a little scared to start reading though, because like every hobby I start, I get WAY obsessed and can't stop once I start, until I'm done (I read the entire work & glory series in two weeks - most of which was spent waiting for the next book to be checked-in at the library). I become very neglectful of my children, husband, and house. I need to find a way to balance everything, cause I really would love to read something wonderful and inspiring and uplifting and fun! By the way, don't feel like you need to explain yourself to me, or like I'll think you're crazy (as mentioned in your last comment on my blog), cause I totally know what it's like to be a stay-at-home mom, and I won't judge you. We all feel like we're one step away from crazy, and we say things we don't REALLY mean, but almost! :) Come visit with your fancy, fuel-efficient car! I'll be waiting.
Post a Comment