Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Smile

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

Life really is better when you smile. I'm amazed at how almost instantly a smile chases blue feelings away.

Have you ever noticed what kind of "rest face" you have? You know, the face you have when you're just going about your day and you don't really feel any emotion in particular? Some people have happy rest faces, others have kind or loving rest faces, while some have sad or grumpy ones. Unfortunately, I have a combination of the last two. All my life I remember people asking me, "Are you alright?" when I'm perfectly fine. This started to bug me, and then I noticed why they ask me- because of my droopy "rest face."

Part of the problem is physical. I inherited droopy eyes with enough luggage to go to Europe. By admitting this, although I'm sure you've already noticed, I am NOT fishing for compliments. I'm just being honest. I've come to terms with this inheritance and am very grateful for a little thing called "cover-up."

The rest or bulk of the problem is my attitude. Here's another admittance: I'm not really a happy person. I can fake it pretty good, but really, I can be quite mopey. I think I'm starting to be not so good at faking it as much. I frequently find myself in "poor pitiful me" moods, and it's showing more than it used to. Maybe that's part of their increased frequency- I'm not smiling as much, so those blue feelings are sticking around a lot longer and are making themselves quite comfortable, I might add.

What have I got to be so darn mopey and depressed about? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Sure, I've got my own set of trials, same as everybody. But my blessings definitely outweigh the negative. I've got a wonderful, cute, patient, loving husband; two adorable, sweet kids who want to be around me ALL the time; numerous friends and family who love me and seem to like to hang out with me; a cute little house to live in; clothes to wear (that are getting tighter- oh yeah! I'm trying to be positvie...); food to eat (as is evidenced in my growing belly); lots of other little things; and last the best of all the game- a Savior who loves me, despite all my mistakes. Wow! That's pretty awesome! Now, why don't I let that show on my face rather than all my minuscule excuses for throwing myself a pity party?!

So, what am I going to do?

Smile.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I remember my dad reading me a study done at some University about smiling. It was fascinating, and I don't remember any of the technical mumbo-jumbo, but it basically concluded that smiling DOES make us feel better. It mirrored the sentiments of that song. I try to remember that.

And I have a very ticked-off rest face. Ty made me go look in the mirror a few times, and I discovered that even when I think I am wearing a friendly pleasant face, I actually look like I am mad. I try harder now to wear a smile.

p.s. the mirror trick was very enlightening. try it.

linds said...

I totally love your attitude! My rest face is totally grumpy. I know this because I always have people asking me if I'm mad. Usually, I'm just deep in thought...maybe I should start looking happily deeply in thought ;)

Mat and Brooke said...

I really appreciate that post, Marianne. I, too, feel like I feel sorry for myself or allow myself to feel a little too overwhelmed (over nothing, really) a lot of the time. I don't know why that is! Sometimes I wonder if it's just a feeling of inadequacy for all the many things we face in our day-to-day lives. But you made a great point when you talked about the Savior. If we let Him, he will make up for all of these feelings if we're always giving life our very best.

But, I would like to say that as I sit here, I can hear your contagious, darling giggle. I know that is a very real part about you. Everyone loves that about you. :) So, if you don't feel like smiling, try hard to laugh and that should give you a double dose of happiness!

Sharlee said...

I LOVE those lyrics. It's true--what IS the use of crying or whining? Does it help us get nearer to our goal?
This reminds me of an old poem I memorized once. It's called "keep-a goin'" and talks about even if you do have problems to tell the world you're feeling "prime" and keep-a-goin'. I'm not good at that at all. If someone asks me how I'm doing I have to complain just a little. I don't want to be that way. It doesn't inspire anyone and nobody needs (or really wants) to know my troubles.
I've always thought my rest face looks like I'm disgusted or stuck up. People in high school use to think I was stuck up because one side of my top lip is fuller than the other so it looks like I'm snearing. Dumb.
I know exactly what you mean about feeling grouchy even when you don't have reason to be. Kimi and I had a conversation about this just the other day. I hope I at least smile enough so that my kids don't think I'm unhappy.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to smile more today.

Anonymous said...

I love that song! I sing it to myself quite often to help pick me up!

Julie said...

Marianne,

I completely understand how you feel. I think that my rest face is more on the sad/grumpy side of things as well even though I may not be feeling that way. And I understand about not being able to hide your emotions. I have never been good at that. If I was in a bad mood everyone knew it as I'm sure you might remember from high school. But now it's harder to be the mom, cuz when you are grumpy the whole house is. It's an unfair lot in life, but oh so true. I think you have always done a wonderful job of hiding mopiness because I never would have classified you as such. One thing I have always admired and loved about our great group of girl friends is how happy you all have been. I felt like it's helped me a lot as has your post. I especially love the song. As soon as I started to read it the music started to play in my head. I love Nat King Cole. Thanks for this post, it's helped me to think about my rest face and how I need to improve it. Love you!!

Julie