I sang this hymn tonight, and it touched my heart so much. Unfortunately, this hymn is rarely sung. It should be sung often.
Does the journey seem long,
The path rugged and steep?
Are there briars and thorns on the way?
Do sharp stones cut your feet
As you struggle to rise
To the heights thru the heat of the day?
Is your heart faint and sad,
Your soul weary within,
As you toil 'neath your burden of care?
Does the load heavy seem
You are forced now to life?
Is there no one your burden to share?
Let your heart be not faint
Now the journey's begun;
There is One who still beckons to you.
So look upward in joy
And take hold of his hand;
He will lead you to heights that are new-
A land holy and pure,
Where all trouble doth end,
And your life shall be free from all sin,
Where no tears shall be shed,
For no sorrows remain,
Take his hand and with him enter in.
-Does the Journey Seem Long?, Hymn #127
"Do not give up the journey; do not yield to weariness; look toward the final goal and continue on."
At this Thanksgiving time, among a long list of other things, I am particularly grateful for the Savior. It's wonderful to know that He knows my sorrows and my burdens and that He is always beckoning to me, wanting to share the load. And because of Him, we can overcome life's struggles and return to live with Him again, in a land "where no tears shall be shed, for no sorrows remain."
I'm also thankful for the Hymns. Tonight after the kids went to bed and I was all alone, I sat down at the piano and sang some hymns. The Spirit filled my soul, and on more than one occasion those inspired words brought tears to my eyes. There are eternal truths in those hymns, and tonight those truths pierced my heart.
I've always loved the music of the church, but because of the business that comes from kids and life, I've let myself forget the strong need I have for beautiful, inspired music in my life. I've been trying to bring it back, and it's so refreshing to my soul. It's like a thirst I didn't know I had has finally been quenched. I love the immediate peace it brings to my heart. I am so grateful the Lord has reminded me to fill my life with holy and inspired music.
I really love this gospel!
Sunday, November 22, 2009
My Thankful List
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
That's beautiful--brought a tears to my eyes too. When I do get the chance to play and sing at the piano (that's been about 5 times since I had kids)--even though I can't play and sing at the same time very well, and I wouldn't want a soul to hear--it brings the spirit so strong and so quickly. I love that. I wish I had a little piano room where I could go and do that.
This hymn holds a special place in my heart. As my dad was dying, he and I shared a moment as he was practicing his organ. He had come upon this beautiful hymn and played it for me. He told me to listen to the words. He felt peace in knowing that the toils and burdens of this world would be taken away as he looked towards HIM and entered his presence. Thank you for reminding me of that special time spent with him where I too felt that my tears and sorrows are lessened because of the peace I feel with HIM.
Post a Comment