Sunday, September 27, 2009

Joel + Gun = Bad News for Birds


This is a family blog, but I rarely post about Joel. Sorry, honey! I'm going to remedy that by telling a story he told me about him as a little boy. I think it's the funniest, cutest story, and it's one that should be written down because it's soooooo Joel.


When Joel was about eight years old, his Grandpa Orton asked him to help him out with a bird problem he was having. Grandpa Orton ran a dairy farm and there were pigeons that kept coming in his barn and making a yucky mess all over. He told Joel he would give him fifty cents for every bird he shot. He left Joel to it and went about his own business.


Later he came back and asked Joel how much money he owed him. Joel said proudly, "Thirty-four dollars."
For you mathematically challenged, that's 68 birds. Apparently Joel finished off the birds inside the barn and then went outside to finish off the rest of Idaho's pigeon and crow population.


I love imagining the look on Joel's Grandpa's face- surprise mixed with some amazement and a little confusion and then the realization that he now owes his grandson thirty-four dollars. Joel's dad wouldn't let him take it. "You're not taking that much money from your Grandfather." They settled for fifteen.


The part of this story that makes Joel beam with pride? Only a week or so before, Grandpa Orton had made the same offer to Joel's cousin who was four years older. He only got two dollars.


I love my cute, gun toting hunk-of-a-man!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

We are having a mole problem. Would you consider a vacation this way if Joel had the promise of hunting and destroying a varmint?

Kim said...

That is SO Joel! I feel bad for all of the pigeons! JK. That is hilarious.

Sharlee said...

I've never heard that story! He's one determined hunter--and cute too.

linds said...

Oh, I think he totally should have gotten the $34 dollars!!! ;) That's a cute story. I'm glad to see Clara is doing better-i'm sure it's nice for you to know now!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Cam's mom used to give him money to shot the starlings in the yard as well.