Sunday, August 23, 2009

Speech Lessons

I've been thinking a lot about the words I speak, and my study has lead me to some wonderful talks given by latter-day apostles and leaders. Here are some of my favorite thoughts:

"...the sin of verbal abuse knows no gender. Wives, what of the unbridled tongue in your mouth, of the power for good or ill in your words? How is it that such a lovely voice which by divine nature is so angelic, so close to the veil, so instinctively gentle and inherently kind could ever in a turn be so shrill, so biting, so acrid and untamed? A woman’s words can be more piercing than any dagger ever forged, and they can drive the people they love to retreat beyond a barrier more distant than anyone in the beginning of that exchange could ever have imagined. Sisters, there is no place in that magnificent spirit of yours for acerbic or abrasive expression of any kind, including gossip or backbiting or catty remarks. Let it never be said of our home or our ward or our neighborhood that 'the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity … [burning] among our members.'"

Yikes! Elder Holland has a way of laying it on ya, and I love it! Sometimes we need a little kick in the pants to remind us what we need to be doing and what we shouldn't be doing. This quote is from his classic talk "The Tongue of Angels" given April 2007 (read the whole thing- it's amazing!). I also love what Sister Bonnie D. Parkin has to say about the words we say:

Do we judge one another? Do we criticize each other for individual choices, thinking we know better, when in fact we rarely understand another’s unique circumstance or individual inspiration? Have we ever said, “She works outside the home.” Or, “Her son didn’t serve a mission.” Or, “She’s too old for a calling.” Or, “She can’t—she’s single.” Such judgments, and so many others like them, rob us of the good part, that pure love of Christ.

We also lose sight of that good part when we compare ourselves to others. Her hair is cuter, my legs are fatter, her children are more talented, or her garden’s more productive—sisters, you know the drill. We just can’t do that. We cannot allow ourselves to feel inadequate by focusing on who we aren’t instead of on who we are! We are all sisters in Relief Society. We simply cannot criticize, gossip, or judge and keep the pure love of Christ.

Elder Marvin J. Ashton beautifully observed: “Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.”

I also love the talk "The Virtue of Kindness" by Elder Wirthlin, one of his classics. I wish I could paste the whole thing, but here are few thoughts:

There is no substitute for kindness in the home.The things you say, the tone of your voice, the anger or calm of your words—these things are noticed by your children and by others. They see and learn both the kind and the unkind things we say or do. Nothing exposes our true selves more than how we treat one another in the home.

I often wonder why some feel they must be critical of others. It gets in their blood, I suppose, and it becomes so natural they often don’t even think about it. They seem to criticize everyone—the way Sister Jones leads the music, the way Brother Smith teaches a lesson or plants his garden.

“But,” you ask, “what if people are rude?” Love them. “If they are obnoxious?” Love them. “But what if they offend? Surely I must do something then?” Love them. “Wayward?” The answer is the same. Be kind. Love them. Why? In the scriptures Jude taught, “And of some have compassion, making a difference.” Who can tell what far-reaching impact we can have if we are only kind?

This was a lot for you to read, but I've enjoyed so much studying these words that I wanted to share them. They pricked my heart and motivated me to make critical changes in myself. I'm going to be much better at the things I say and especially the things I don't say.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Nothing like a little guilt to start your week.

I need to do better. WAY better.

behoxer said...

Thanks Marianne. I need those reminders. I especially loved the
Elder Holland quote.

Sharlee said...

Yes. I need to hang Elder Holland's quote on my fridge. Thanks for a good reminder.