Saturday, July 25, 2009

No School Like the Old School

Joel and I watched the most amazing movie last night. It was The Miracle Worker. It's a classic, but for some dumb reason we've never seen it. I'm so glad we finally did. It was so good- one of the best movies I've ever seen and definitely an instant favorite. I would recommend this movie to everyone.
If you've never heard of it, it's the story of Helen Keller and the woman who taught her to communicate- Anne Sullivan. Joel and I were spellbound throughout the entire movie. It was so captivating, inspiring, and heartwarming. I did not expect to cry as much as I did.
We were also blown away by the incredible acting by Anne Bancroft (Anne Sullivan) and Patty Duke (Helen Keller). They both won Oscars for their performances, and rightly so. It's worth watching just to see the acting.
Joel and I could not fathom what it must have been like for Helen Keller to live in a silent and dark world. How horrific it must have been for her parents to discover this about their child. I can't even imagine how frightening that was for them.
This movie made me want to learn more about both Anne Sullivan and Helen Keller. If anyone knows any good biographies, let me know. I'd really be interested.
I have been on an old movie kick lately. They're classics for a reason, and they don't have put a bunch of garbage in them to make them good. That's the biggest reason I like them. I don't have to worry about anything. I can just sit down and enjoy a good movie that leaves me feeling good inside. Some that we've enjoyed recently are: Harvey, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, I Was a Male War Bride, and The Awful Truth. They were all really good, so if you're looking for a fun flick for date night, these would all be good (except maybe "I Was a Male War Bride". It was cute but a little pointless).
Thank goodness for old school Hollywood. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I think I saw this movie on TV a LONG time ago. I'll have to watch it again sometime, as I don't remember a whole lot about it.

Thanks for coming to my party last week! It was so fun to see you and your sweet kids.

Anonymous said...

I need to put this on my list! Thanks for the review. :D

Linsey said...

I can't believe that you guys have never seen that show! I think they made us watch it in school a few times! It is a good one but unfortunately in high school all the kids just made fun of Helen Keller.
I will have to check out some of the other movies you have listed. I don't think I have seen any of them!