Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Dad?

Before I go to bed tonight I want to really quick share something that Noah said to me today.

The kids and I were doing our own things this morning when Clara started yelling at Noah. She is easily provoked by nothing more than a simple glance her way.

Noah, of course, takes offense at her impatience with him, and inevitably yells back, "Stop it Clara!"

Then, the ritual continues, and I say, "Not your job, Noah." He tries to discipline her far too often, so I'm trying to teach him that's my job, not his.

Noah replies, "I know, Mom." In my head I'm thinking, "Than stop doing it!" This is usually where these common exchanges end. But today it went a little further.

Noah said to me, "It will be my job when I'm a Dad."

I was a little surprised by this, but managed to say, "That's right, when you're a Dad."

How weird is that to think of him being a Dad someday! But what I found surprising is that he realizes he will be a Dad someday. This is something he must have been giving some thought to. I'm glad he understands that. But, for the time being, I don't really want to think about it. He's already growing up way too fast. I know before I know it, he'll be on a mission, coming home and finding himself a cute girl to marry. For now, I'm happy with Clara and me being the only girls he cares about. There's plenty of time for all that other stuff later.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Awwww. THAT is why I am going to home school and cut off all communication with the outside world. They can't grow up if they don't know they can. That's my motto.

Kim said...

That is so cute, marianne. He is one smart kid!

Mat and Brooke said...

Oh my gosh! We've got to see you and your family! It's been way too long since we've gotten together and we miss the cute little Orton family :( What a cute story that was about Noah. He's just too cute, isn't he?!