Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Cousin Parker

On Saturday I was visiting my Mom and Dad. I was just about to head home when they had a surprise visitor. My cousin Parker and his wife Char and their cute baby Colton stopped by for a quick hello. It was such a pleasant surprise. They've been living in Arizona, so it's been a long time since I've seen them. I can't even remember the last time, possibly not since their wedding in '05.

Parker and I have always been good friends. Even though he grew up in Washington, we remained close and always looked forward to visits. We always had lots to talk about- basketball (yes, believe it or not, there was a time I loved that sport and wasn't so bad at it), drawing, and music. We were always good buddies, which isn't hard with Parker. He's an all around great guy. He even helped give me a blessing once when I was sick while visiting his family in Washington.

It didn't take Clara long to make friends with Parker. He walked up to her, asked her if he could pick her up, and she just lifted up her arms as if to say, "okay." Now, for those of you who know Clara well, you know that is very unusual. She is very shy toward strangers and usually answers such a request with a snooty grunt. Not with Parker. He picked her up and she still didn't refuse. He held her for a good 15 minutes or more, with me in her line of site. Usually if she sees me she forgets everything but her need to be attached to me. Not too long after Parker picked her up she laid her head down on his shoulder and cuddled with him for the remainder the time. We were already amazed by her previous actions, but this was astounding. She's very cuddly, but usually only with me, Dad, and sometimes other relatives and friends she knows very very well. I guess she knew Parker was no stranger. She knew he was family. It was so cute, and Parker loved every minute of it. When they left she got mad that her new friend was leaving, but hopefully we'll see them again soon.

If you're reading this Parker and Char, it was so fun to see you guys! It's always a treat to spend time with you. Feel free to stop by our place anytime you're passing through. Love ya!


7 comments:

Abbey said...

Oh, I'm so jealous you've seen them! I'm glad that worked out. And by the way, you're pretty easy to be buddies with too!

Anonymous said...

Parker looks like he could be your brother! That is so cute that Clara put her head on his shoulder. It looks so sweet!

Ashlee said...

okay it has been a LONG time since I've seen blogs. I got all the way down to the bottom of the page and hadn't seen any of those posts! So many things to say...so little time! First, it was so great to see you and Clara on Saturday, I love this showers just so we can get together! I love your kitchen and your chairs. A good project that we work on ourselves is always the best! I love that chair Clara sits in...she's getting so big! Oh and I'll have to try that recipe, it looks very springy and I am so into that lately! Oh and I totally know what you mean about those cleaning sprees we go on. The pantry looks amazing...too bad we can't just dedicate a whole day to that stuff when we actually feel like doing it. The kids would run away I think! Anyways, I vow to check blogs more often! Let's do the zoo or something this week!

Andrea said...

Dear Clara,

How dare you! All my begging has been for not, and then this?

Indignantly yours,
Aunt Andrea

Andrea said...

Naught. Duh. I'm a little slow.

Marianne said...

That's okay, Andrea. I'm always slow. (And just so you know, I probably would never have noticed.)

Kim said...

I'm with Andrea! I'm totally offended- all I usually get is the snooty grunt! Seriously, that is so cute and amazing! I'm glad you got to see Parker.