Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Too much info?

I've created a monster. Clara's almost sixteen months and still nursing morning and night. I haven't weaned her because she and both love it. I love the private moment with just her and me. I love all the sweet things she does while she nurses, like patting her hand on my mouth so I can kiss it. I love how every time I sit down in the rocking chair she knows exactly what's coming. She takes out her binky and hands it to me and hands me her toy piglet, as if to say, "Okay, here's my stuff. I'm ready." I also didn't want to stop nursing because I'm trying to hold on to every ounce of babyness in her. Weaning her would be a huge step in growing up for her.

Well, I'm starting to get over those issues. It's starting to hurt. She doesn't mean to, but when you have a mouth full of teeth, well...you get the picture. I decided it was time to try and wean her. I think I'm ready. But, she's not. I knew she loved it, but I didn't know just how much. Almost every time I've tried to skip a feeding she gets so mad at me. Being the push over that I am (I just can't see my baby girl sad!), most of those times I've given in. It's just so sad! So, in my unwillingness to let my baby grow up I've created a little suckling monster. I need to wean her for the sake of my you-know-whats (I'm still feeling the affects of this morning's feeding, which I tried in vain to skip). I know I'll be able to get her weaned but it's going to be rough, mostly for her. I hope she'll forgive me.

Any advice for this sore mother?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Don't worry- she'll get over it quickly. She might be sad for a couple of days, but I think she'll be fine. Good luck!

Andrea said...

I hate weaning. This brought back so many lovely memories of nursing...and some of the not-so-lovely. I think you're right in wanting to be done though. When it ceases to be enjoyable, it's time. I wish I had some fabulous, magical advice. But I don't. It's just hard. And they're so sad and pitiful for a while. But they get over it.

And then you're FREE!

Anonymous said...

I know I have never had kids before so this issue is one I have never had to deal with, but I do know from my sisters that the baby will never seem ready especially since you have been breast feeding her for so long. You just have to be strong and stop and DON'T GIVE IN!!!!!! If you need to leave and go to the bathroom so you don't have to see her sad face, DO IT!!!! You can't give in. This is for her and you! I had a sister that was still breast feeding at 2.5yrs and she would ask her mom for a boob. I know you don't want her to get to that point. It has to end at some point and if she is hurting you then tell her that is why you aren't nursing anymore. She will be sad but will get over it quickly if you don't give in!! You can do it Marianne!!! This won't be the first time she doesn't like it when you take something away from her. Take this as prep for when she is a teenager. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Liana said...

Our little girl nursed until she was 2. Weaning was difficult, but not tearful. I realized that what she really wanted was the closeness and a snack, so we replaced nursing with cuddle time and snack time. I'd give her a sippy cup and let her sit on my lap. I'd sing her some songs or just talk to her while she pretended to be a baby, she loved it, and hasn't asked to nurse again.

Sharlee said...

Ouch. I know that feeling. All of the feelings. I think Liana had the perfect solution. I sure couldn't think of anything! Good luck.