Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Are those tonsils or small planets?

We had a dentist appointment a couple weeks ago, and the dentist strongly advised me to take Noah to an ENT to get his tonsils checked because they were huge. I knew they were big because he's snored for a long time, but they've gotten even bigger recently, which, consequently, has made his snoring worse too (adding to the sleep deprivation of his parents since he sleeps in their room).

Yesterday was his appointment with the ENT, and it's official, the tonsils need to go, along with his adenoids. The surgery is scheduled for February 6th- a week from Friday. I'm a little nervous. First of all, my poor little guy has to have surgery! But I'm also worried that he'll throw a huge fit when we get to the hospital, and it will take a team of six nurses to get him sedated. I'm also worried for the recovery. I hope he won't be in too much pain, especially since getting him to take the pain medication is going to take a miracle. Generally when he gets sick he's still pretty active, so I'm hoping he'll be the same with this. I've already tried to make the experience sound fun. I'm noting saying a word about what they're going to do, but I'll say lots about how he gets to eat yummy things like ice cream and Popsicles. I even ordered a couple used DVDs off of Amazon so he has something new and exciting to watch.

We're hoping the surgery will help him with a few things: snoring, not being stuffed all the time, being able to breathe better (always a plus), and his speech. The latter is the one we're rooting for the most (except for maybe the breathing thing). Those of you that know us well and are around us a lot know that Noah has a very curious way of speaking. He has this lovely habit of snorting when he says certain sounds. Sometimes it just sounds like he's talking through his nose all the time. It's a little embarrassing. I mean, what other kid does that? I have this secret fear that he'll never outgrow it, and when he asks a girl out for the first time it will sound something like this: "Hnki. Will you hngo out wihng hngme?" I can only imagine the look on the girl's face. I'm sure he'll grow out of it by then, though. At least, I pray he will.

So, the next time you see Noah he will be tonsil and adenoidless (and hopefully snortless).

8 comments:

linds said...

Oh my goodness, the poor little guy!! I would be a little nervous too! I think it's so cute you got him something new for after the surgery :)
P.S. I forgot to say on facebook that Emalee was my niece...I had soooo many comments congratulating me on my new baby...oops!

Andrea said...

Yikes. I'm glad he'll get some relief though. Marianne, you're funny. I'm sure he'll grow out of it. But I understand your fears, being a mother myself and all. You want things to go as smoothly in their lives as possible. I have so many of those little fears that I just can't shake. It's a little heart-wrenching at times, this business we're in.

Anonymous said...

I loved the part about asking a girl out!! I can picture it now. Just hope if that happens that he doesn't have glasses so then he won't have to adjust them as he asks her. LOL!! :D I am sure he will be fine for recovery. I have never heard of anyone having problems.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the surgery. He'll do great! I watched several of these surgeries and they aren't too terrible. Kids tend to do better then adults.

Little Miracle said...

When Bradley had his taken out they gave him something to calm his nerves. He was practically drunk when they took him to prep for the surgery. Bradley awoke in the recovery room to shrek, and a new (huge) stuffed snake which he first named Bob. (He is now known as Asmedeus) We camped out in the family room in front of the TV for a few days, but everything was fine. Noah will do great!

Bethers Family said...

I would be worried too! A few of my nieces and nephews have had that surgery too and it changed the tone of their voices. Weird, but they did great during surgery. Noah will do good, we will send some prayers out for you too :)

We are the Dall family said...

My little Parker had his taken out. First few days were rough, but he quickly got over it and I am glad he had it done.

Monica and Stephen said...

We just got Kyle's tonsils and adnoids out on February 3. He has done pretty well with the recovery. It was sad seeing him when he first woke up from the surgery. He was so sad and confused and in pain, but now a week after surgery he is doing good. He still complains of a sore throat every once in a while but other then that he is doing good. I hope Noah is doing good from his surgery.