Well, Clara's birthday party wasn't the happy, blissful night I hoped it would be (with kids, things never go as you envision do they?). It was fun, but poor Clara didn't feel that great. She's getting a molar, which not only was hurting her mouth but her ear too. Plus, because it was Sunday, she was exhausted from not getting her normal naps. But when she wasn't crying or wanting me to hold her she managed to have some fun and so did we. We gathered at Grandma and Grandpa Orton's and Grandma and Grandpa Svedin came too. We had a yummy pre-thanksgiving dinner. We had mashed potatoes, carrots (a recipe we got from my sister's neighbor- they're kind of like candied yams. They're so good!), chicken, and gravy. Then we had turkey for dessert!
Here's Clara playing with her new toys. She liked this part of the party. Her favorite was the doggy xylophone. She got so mad and screamed at us when we tried to get it out of the box. Of course it took us 10 minutes to get the dang thing out because, as Grandma Orton said, the toymakers act like it's a matter of national security when it comes to packaging toys. For heaven's sake! We finally got it out, and she had fun playing with it. She also got some link toys, Rainbow Fish board books, and a bath toy. You'd think it was Noah's birthday too because he was more thrilled about the new toys than Clara was.
The Carving of the Turkey.
It's a good thing I had taken a picture of Larry the night I made him because when I lifted up the tinfoil for the unveiling, part of his body had fallen off. Everyone made jokes about eating a turkey cake. Joel said he wanted some dark meat, and Grandpa Svedin requested the wishbone. Well, he did get it. The piece I gave him had a toothpick in it.
This was by far Clara's favorite part of the night. I gave her a little chunk of cake and she knew just what to do. It was so cute! She was very feminine and dainty in the way she ate her cake. But she still got messy. By the end she had frosting oozing between her little fingers. She loved it! She loved the ice cream too and got mad at me if I was too slow or seemed to forget about her.
Hooray for babies, birthdays, and cake!




8 comments:
LOL!! I love the last picture of her eating her cake. Did she fit that whole piece in her mouth? :D
What a cute cake! Way to go, Marianne! Sounds like a fun time. Thanks for sharing your husband with us last weekend!
Wow she's already one??? It's going to fast! That cake is so cute, did you form that all by yourself? Awesome, look at you! Cute pictures of Clara and the cake, she's darling.
It was so fun to see you last Monday, I'm excited we have an excuse to get together, it felt like old times!
That is so fun. That cake looks so moist and yummy. Very cute. Maybe for Christmas you could take the toys out of their packaging before you wrap them so there is instant gratification for poor Clara. She is so stinking cute.
Yay! Happy Birthday Clara! What a fun day! She is too cute. Great job on the cake, it is way cute too!
Happy Birthday Clara! The cake turned out so cute. Good job! Clara looks adorable eating her cake. What a cute girl.
That cake is the cutest thing I've ever seen!! You are so creative! Happy birthday Clara. She is such a doll.
Happy birthday Clara! Have I ever told you how much I like the name Clara? Anyhoo - you did awesome with the cake!
Post a Comment