Some of you know that my kids have very early bed times. You probably think it's because I'm ensuring that they get plenty of rest and have a healthy sleep routine. While that is true, here is the biggest reason: I am selfish and love having free time. From 7:00 to midnight (I know I should go to bed earlier) I am free to do whatever I want. Well, anything that ensures I stay home. Sometimes I feel a little selfish, but I take comfort in knowing that my children are well rested and their mom is getting the break she needs.
Since Joel often works nights, I have to entertain myself. Rather than sit and watch movies all night every night, I try to use that time for my hobbies. Granted, movies are a hobby of mine, so I still watch them on some nights, but usually I try to have something fun to do that sparks my creativity. That's one reason I love this blog. It's usually the first thing I do after the kids are asleep, like right now. Other things I love to do are cross-stitching, reading, scrapbooking, housework, exercising (alright, I don't always love it, but I try to do it occasionally), playing piano, and anything else that sounds fun. Usually I find something I love and I do that every night for a week or two. Then I get tired of it and switch to something else. Right now I am on a sewing kick. I don't sew unless it really sounds fun because, frankly, I do not have the patience for it. However, if I keep my projects simple, I do enjoy myself. Lately I've noticed that fun aprons are really popular. I saw some darling ones at the outrageously expensive but oh so cute store Anthropology, but they were way too much money. After feeling sad that I couldn't afford them, I realized I could just make my own- duh! So, I ventured out to Johann and got some fabric. I fell instantly in love with that fruit fabric, and I was so excited to get started on my project. The first one I made (the one on the right in the bottom picture) turned out so cute. It's definitely not perfect, but considering my skills as a seamstress, I think it turned out pretty good. I wore it all day, and Joel teased me about it. I just informed him that I had to wear it because I was cleaning and didn't want to get my clothes dirty. Then he asked me what I was going to do when the apron got dirty. I had so much fun making that one that I decided to make another. I actually think the second one turned out cuter than the first. I'm still not done with my apron creations. I want to make one for Clara that will fit her when she's about Noah's age, and I want to get some boyish fabric for Noah since he's always helping me bake. Anyway, I just wanted to share my latest project. Next week who knows what my project will be. Maybe it should be something really useful, like painting the kitchen table, which I started a year ago and never finished. Naw! It'll probably be something more fun, like scrapbooking or cross-stitching.
Monday, July 14, 2008
My Apron Creations
Posted by Marianne at 6:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
So cute! You are very talented!
Those aprons are so cute. I have been thinking about making some myself and I think you have inspired me.
So dang cute, Marianne! Do I smell another home business on the horizon? I am impressed. I stay up late at night trying to have some time to myself but I always end up waisting it doing useless things like watching t.v. You have inspired me once again.
I have been meaning to make myself an apron now for 10 years! I've made them for everyone else (though not half as cute as yours), but never me. These are so cute I might just have to dust off the ol' sewing machine and give it a whirl. I made some when Saylor was little out of waterproof fabric (like they make raincoats out of) for painting and put little pockets on the sides for paintbrushes. They were perfect for when Saylor wanted to paint with Grandma (never mind that Grandma was also thrilled that she didn't have to ruin every shirt she owned with oil paints), and Saylor loved that she and her grandma were "twinners." It is high time for some new ones...maybe for Christmas.
The aprons look great! Sewing is definitely a talent I don't have, even though my mom has tried and tried to teach me. I can't wait to see the mini aprons you make for Noah and Clara.
Yeah! My apron!
Post a Comment