Monday, June 16, 2008

Words

About a week ago I was rocking Clara- something I do every night, and I felt inspired to capture my feelings it in a poem. Now, I do not, by any means, profess to be good with words. In fact, I am far from it (I often make an idiot of myself when I try to talk with people), and I'll use this opportunity to express my apologies for previous and future posts with bad grammar and mis-spelled words. I have many friends and family who are excellent writers (you know who you are), so sometimes I get a bit nervous about writing things for them to read. Also, I know you're all dying to read my poem (ha ha), but you'll have to wait. What started out as a fun little activity has turned into a bit of an obsession. But I think it's about done (I hope), and when it is and after I feel courageous enough to share it, I will post it for all to see (yikes!).

That said, I would like to also say how cool words are! Isn't the English language amazing! As I've been writing this poem, searching through the dictionary and thesaurus trying to find the perfect word for what I want to say, I have discovered that I love words. Here I am a college graduate, and I use the same boring words over and over. It is amazing how many ways there are to say one thing, and some words say things better than others. For example, "fleeting" is such a better way to say something is fast, and "repose" is a much better word for sleep, and so on and so on. I think that some words are more fun physically to say- like "delicious," "scrumptious," "reminisce," "bewitch," "solace ", etc. It feels like you can taste the words as you say them. Do you know what I mean? Writing my poem has reminded me of the thousands of words there are and how beautiful they are. I think the dictionary and thesaurus just made my list of favorite books! And I've decided to learn and use more words.

Am I the only one who didn't know who Webster was? I have always wondered that, so I decided to find out. I went to the website on the back of my book- www.merriam-webster.com. First of all, cool website! If you love words or if, like me, you want to learn more words, this website should be bookmarked. Anyway, I did some searching and found out who Webster is. His name was Noah Webster, and he was born in Connecticut in 1758. Among other things, he wrote the first dictionary. I suggest, if you don't already know, to read the short history about him because he was a cool guy. Here's the link: http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/noah.htm.

Well, I guess you could call this my "Ode to Words." They really are amazing, and my hat is off to everyone with the talent to create with them. Since I've been reading more, I am blown away by the ability some people have to use words like a painter uses a paint brush. For example, Shannon Hale! If you've read her books you know what I mean. Her imagery is so vivid- it's like your looking at a painting, and she does it all with words. I also love reading things by my friends and family that I mentioned earlier. You're so talented! I am envious of people who know exactly what they want to say and exactly how to say it. I definitely don't have that ability.

Well, I'm going on too long. One thing I'm still learning about words is that sometimes "less is more." I just wanted to share my feelings with you all. Thanks for reading my "words." :)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I, too, am super jealous of those who can profess their profoundity in words. It is a skill I hold in high esteem. I love words - it is a love that was instilled in me practically from birth. The perfectly (or cleverly) coined sentence thrills me to the tips of my toes and makes me want to beat my head against a wall because I didn't think of it first! I would LOVE to take some really neat English class that would expand my vocabulary and teach me the art of thought-painting. Maybe someday. In the mean time please share your poetry with the masses! I, for one, would love to read it. I am impressed with anyone who can finish a poem (I myself start many - in those fleeting instances of inspiration - but never finish any). I'll be waiting with baited breath! :)

Andrea said...

Oh, I forgot to say that I think everyone who comments needs to tell what their favorite word is. What's yours? Mine is Shellac. Unfortunately it's not the easiest one to work into conversation or poetry. I'm working on it though.

Marianne said...

My favorite word? I'm not sure. Because I'm not very well acquainted with all the words available to me, my favorite words is a simple one. I think I'd have to say it is "scrumptious," mostly because I love the way it feels in my mouth when you say it. It's alos mostly used to describe, and since I love food, I love the word! I'm sure once I become better acquainted with the English language I will find other words that I like better. I looked up Shellac (because I'm dumb and didn't know what it was), and you're right- it would be hard to use in poetry, but I'm sure you can do it. I'll be waiting for it. I would love to take an English class too. I think I'd really enjoy a creative writing class. And by the way, you have nothing to be jealous of! You are one of those family members that I mentioned in my post that writes very well!! I love reading everything you write. You have a very good grasp for words and how to use them to say exactly what you want to say. I think you're very talented!

Marianne said...

I wish there was an edit button for your comments! Sorry for all the mis-spellings in my comment. It's kind of ironic that I'd make all the mistakes in a comment about the English language. That just shows you how much I don't know!