Monday, March 24, 2008

Scripture of the Week

I've decided I'd like to post a scripture every week. I have been trying to get into a steady scripture study regime, but haven't been doing very well. So, I thought if I made posting a scripture a habit it would help me get myself in the scriptures more. I'm not doing this to show all my friends how spiritual I am. On the contrary, I was hoping that by doing this, I could receive some much needed spiritual nourishment, and if any of you feel the desire, I'd love to hear your feelings on the scriptures I share. Here's the first scripture I'd like to share. It's one of my favorites:

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. -Ether 12:27

I love that scripture! I don't know about you, but I sure feel like I have a lot of weaknesses, and this scripture gives me hope that all those things I stink at, someday I can be a pro at. The key is the very first line- "come unto me." I also wanted to share a quote that I love that talks about the hymn "Come Unto Jesus."
Come. It is an immediate appeal, admitting no excuses. come. It is without qualifications. Not come when we are perfect. Not come when we have no doubts or smudges, when life is uncontested and we have no problems. Nor is it an invitation to come only when life is at its darkest - only in time of dire need. It is a simple, 'Come now. Come as you are.' So he offers the invitation and leaves it extended with a kind of divine hopefulness - until we respond. -Karen Lynn Davidson

I hope this helps you as it did me.






4 comments:

Andrea said...

Good! I can count this as my scripture study for the week - heaven knows it may be the only scripture I lay eyes upon until your next weekly scripture. I know it's horrible, but I forget, or get distracted WAY too often, and don't get as much studying in as I should. It was fun to see you on Sat. I wish you'd give me that baby of yours - even if you'd loan her to me for a few weeks, that'd be fine.

Sharlee said...

Thank you for a spiritual thought for my day. It was perfect! What a beautiful thought. I like the new look of your blog, too--very colorful and pretty. It was fun seeing you on Saturday. I'm so glad you came.

Andrea said...

c'mon Marianne...I know you have some cute Easter egg hunt pictures to share. I'll be waiting (not very patiently I'm afraid. I've already checked your blog twice/day all week)...

Andrea said...

Marianne, where are you?! I need a new scripture. I've worn out this one! I'm keenly aware of my weaknesses - today especially - and would like you to find a scripture that says, "Ah, forget about it...it's all just too hard. Just go get a box of whoppers and watch useless t.v. tonight, and wallow in your imperfection until you feel better." Is that blasphemous? sorry.