This morning, last minute, we decided to do something crazy, spontaneous, out of the ordinary. We got ready lickety-split, which with kids isn't really that fast, hopped into the car and headed for...the Utah State Fair! We've never been and we rarely do things like this, so it was a special treat. It was an added bonus that because it was opening day, Joel and I got in for only $2 a piece (compared with the regular $8) and the kids were free. It's a good thing we got in for so cheap because we needed the rest of our life savings to enjoy the actual festivities. The first picture shows Joel and Noah with our fine dining that cost 5 times as much as our entrance fee. I figured I'd better get a picture of the dad-gum things. They were pretty good, I have to admit.
We also got to see a bear show that was pretty cool. One bear rode a scooter and another stood and walked on a ball. They would also kiss their trainer. Pretty amazing stuff.
The kids' favorite was probably the building with all the wildlife of Utah. They had fish tanks and a dessert tortoise and the hides of everything from a bear to a beaver that you could touch. Clara kept saying, "Oh, wow!"
We couldn't stay too long because Joel had to go to work, but with two little kids it was the perfect amount of time. We had so much fun! It's nice to do exciting things like this that aren't part of everyday life. I love seeing my kids get a thrill from discovering and experiencing simple things like riding a pony. It was a fun day!
P.S.- Shakes at McDonalds aren't very good. Don't waste your money (especially if you've already spent loads of it at the state fair).




7 comments:
What?? I love McDonald's shakes! Jk :) I'm glad you guys go to have a fun day together. Clara looks so cute in her hat!
That sounds like the perfect memory maker--spontaneous, cheep, and only a few hours. I love fairs.
I went to McDonalds to buy my boys "cheep" shakes after they had dental work done two days ago and they are NOT cheep. For $6.00 (2 shakes) I could have bought two boxes of ice cream and made my own shakes. 20 of them!
I can hardly believe how beautiful your children are! They are head-turners!! I'm glad you had so much fun at the fair. I love going to things like that with my family. :)
We attended the E. Idaho State Fair this week, too. It's THE big thing around here. Seriously. It's all everyone talks about ALL year. It is fun to make fun of. The kids loved it, but I was exhausted and grouchy by the time we got home. You're a better mom than me. Let's just face that fact right now.
p.s. I, too, think farm life would be grand, but know that I'm too lazy to make it happen. Instead, I aim to live NEXT-to a farm, therefore enjoying the ambiance without the work.
So fun!! I love fairs!!
Hey Marianne! I can't believe how big your kids are already! I guess it has been forever since we've seen you guys. Hope you're doing well!
If I would have know you guys were going I would have come up to join you. Next year let's go together! I need to try one of the corn dogs!!
Post a Comment