Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Ocean in Me

There is an LDS singer/songwriter that I love: Cherie Call. I think she has a gift for writing lyrics, and I feel like those lyrics were written just for me. Everyone probably feels that way about them, which is why her songs are so beautiful. The CD I'm mostly talking about is "The Ocean in Me." This is what she has to say about the songs on this CD:

"I've always been fascinated by the ocean. You can't see the other side of it from the shore. If you look as far as you can, it just seems to touch the sky. Someone would pretty much have to be watching from above to see the whole thing. Our lives are very much the same. These songs are about the times when our Father helps us to see the big picture- the ocean in us that we never knew existed."
****************************************************
Whenever I listen to this CD I am always reminded that Heavenly Father loves me and that he has great things in store for me. That in turn always gives me the little nudge I need to try a little (okay, a lot) harder to be better. Instead of making me feel guilty for all my faults (trust me, there aren't just a few), I feel the love deep down inside that I desperately need to feel.
Just the circumstances of when I got this CD show me that Heavenly Father loves me. It was Christmas 2002. I had just found out that I was not selected to be a performing missionary at Nauvoo. I felt good about auditioning. I knew it was a righteous desire to serve using my talents. I promised the Lord I would be okay with whatever happened, but when I got the letter listing the names of those selected and mine wasn't among them, I was not prepared for the tears that began pouring. I was still okay with not getting selected (sort of), but I couldn't deny the painful disappointment in my heart.
For Christmas, my family draws names. My brother didn't even have my name, but for some kind reason (can we say tender mercy?) decided to give me Cherie Call's CD, "Ocean in Me". As soon as I heard the words of the first song, I knew Heavenly Father was trying to tell me something. We can't always see what's ahead of us, and sometimes things we desire, even if they're good, are not what He has planned for us. Every song on that CD filled my heart with peace, and I knew there was a reason I didn't get to go to Nauvoo.
Well, just a couple weeks later I found out what that reason was. Joel came home from his mission January 2003 and had a special homecoming in Utah in my ward (we were in the same ward before his mission for those who didn't know), even though his parents had moved to California while he was gone. While he spoke at that meeting, I knew deep down we would end up together. I didn't know how, since he didn't even live in the same state, but I knew somehow it would happen. Well, to make a long story short, he moved to Mountain Green, which happens to be in easy distance to Ogden/Weber State where I was going to school. We had our first date February 13th and were unofficially engaged two weeks later. Obviously the Lord had a different mission planned for me. I'm pretty happy with how things worked out.
After the kids went to bed tonight, I popped Cherie Call's CD in while I cleaned. I've been feeling a little down lately, and I almost instantly felt better as I listened to those songs. I was reminded of all the things that I so easily forget: Heavenly Father loves me and that makes me worth a lot!
I wanted to share one of the songs on my blog, but I couldn't choose just one. So, I chose three. Sorry- that makes this post really long. But if you've stuck it out this far you might as well keep reading. Her words are much better than what you've already read anyway.
**********************************************************
Ocean in Me
I know when a storm is coming on
And I can tell when tears are gonna fall
And i know what it's like when disappointments
Seem to make you feel so small
I've become the extra when I wished to be the lead
And I have been the friend when I wished to be the girl
And sometimes all the faith in the world
Can still never change
What isn't meant to be
******************************************
But if I feel like just a tear drop in the rain
When I meant to be the rain
God sees the ocean in me
And in the depths of all my sorrow and my pain
When I ask to be delivered
He shows the ocean to me
He sees the ocean in me.
****************************************
He sees all the things that I can't see
And He dries every tear that falls down
And sooner or later He opens my eyes
And finally I turn around
To find that as a servant, I had really been a queen
And I had been a diamond when I thought that I was glass
And I know every heartbreak will pass
Just when it seems the hardest to believe
*****************************************
Cause if I feel like just a teardrop in the rain
When I meant to be a river
God see the ocean in me
And in the depths of all my sorrow and my pain
When I ask to be delivered
He shows the ocean to me
He sees the ocean in me
********************************
I'm an ocean drawn to the light
Reaching for the sky
Pulled by gravity
And after every storm I take another shape
Landing on a shore far beyond my dreams
**********************************
And when I feel like just a teardrop in the rain
When I meant to be a river
God sees the ocean in me
And in the depths of all my sorrow and my pain
When I ask to be delivered
He shows the ocean to me
He sees the ocean in me
No Ordinary Girl
Like a lily in the field, you were meant to shine in the sun
Stretched so tall in clean open spaces,
So far away from dark smoky places
And when the raindrops fall, it only helps your roots grow deep
So that those who would pull you away from your faith
Would just scrape their hands, give up, and walk away
And in your blinding beauty, you remind everyone
Who your Maker must be
********************************************************
Like a princess in a castle, you were meant to dance in the light
Handled with honor by those who would dare
To take you by the hand and twirl you everywhere
And if there villains be, they would turn around and just go home
Laughing at themselves that they ever even tried
To make you forget about your palace on high
And in your blinding beauty, you remind everyone
Who the King must be
*********************************************************
There you are in a great big world
Full of meadows and castles and dances
But you are no ordinary girl
You were meant for something more
********************************************************
Like a star in the sky, you were meant for higher heights
Lifted by dreams and the plans that you've made,
The work that you've done, and the prayers that you've prayed
And in the darkest night, you will help to show the way
For everyone else who would be like you
Shedding more light over everything true
And in your blinding beauty, you remind everyone
Where your kingdom must be
You remind everyone who our Maker and King must be.
********************************************************
All That I Can Give
He gives me snow-covered mountains
Beautiful sunsets
And skies full of stars
He gives me pictures from children
Meadows for picnics
And songs with guitars
****************************************
And all that I can give Him is my voice
To whisper His name, to sing and rejoice
And it couldn't be enough if I praised Him
Every day I lived
But it's all that I can give
****************************************
He gives me people who love me
And friends that can make me
Laugh till I cry
He gives me a place to go home to
And blankets to warm me
On cold winter nights
And all that I can give him is my heart
To Cherish these things and know how precious they are
And it couldn't be enough to show I love Him
Every day I live
But it's all that I can give
***************************************
How I wish that I could give Him
Somethings I could truly call my own
But even every breath I take
He's give me
He's showing me
***************************************
He gives me mercy unending
Love everlasting
And answers to prayers
He gives me directions to find Him
And faith to believe
He will always be there
***************************************
And all that I can give Him are my sins
To leave them behind for as long as I live
All that He will ever ask of me
Is everything I am
And all that I can give
(I apologize for all the asterics. For some reason it didn't want to post all of my Enters, making one giant paragraph. Hopefully the asterics will make it a little easier to read. Luckily Cherie has liften my mood, and I won't let stupid computer glitches get me down.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. :)

Bethers Family said...

I am not the biggest fan of hers, but I do really like the song she wrote for the Parable of the 10 Virgins. My sister Heather sang it in a Stake presentation and it was beautiful!

Ashlee said...

Wow those are some great lyrics. I don't know if I've ever heard her before, I will have to! We need to get together soon, how are you guys?