I have the funniest story to tell. You will love it.
I was at Smith's in the baking isle looking for milk chocolate chips. Noah got so excited when he saw the chocolate, probably because he knew I was going to buy some. After I found what I needed and was about to look for my next item- ground cloves, a couple walked up to the chocolate chips. The woman was white, but the man was black and very dark. Living where we do, Noah doesn't see many people with that skin color. He got so excited when he saw the man and said, loudly, "Mom, look! Chocolate people!" (Even while writing this I can't stop laughing!) I was so embarrassed and didn't know what to say. I just told Noah it wasn't nice to say that, and after I gave my profound apologies, we tried to scurry on our way. Luckily the man was very nice and seemed to think it as funny as I did because he and his wife chuckled and gave me big smiles. I was still embarrassed, though. Not just because of what Noah said, but because I could not help smiling. I wanted to run away so I could have a good laugh, but I was still trying to find those darn ground cloves, which are on the same isle as chocolate chips. I tried to bite my smile away while I frantically searched for the cloves. Finally, after a few awkward moments of me trying not to smile or laugh or make eye contact with the nice man, he and his wife left the isle. As soon as they were out of sight I released my smile and had a good laugh to myself (I think they probably did too). People probably thought I was crazy because all through the store I'd randomly start laughing and smiling ear to ear at the thought of what Noah said. Even as we were driving home I started laughing. Noah thought I was crying, but I told him I was laughing because he is so funny. I love it when my kids make me laugh like that- the kind of laugh you can't contain. As I think more about what he said, I can kind of understand his excitement. He probably thought he could take a bite out of him (I hope that's not offensive to say). Oh, goodness. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a black person the same again.
Friday, October 17, 2008
The Things Kids Say
Posted by Marianne at 2:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
THOSE moments are the reason Sylas will live to see another day. As soon a I feel at my wit's end and think I don't like him anymore he does something so darn sweet or cute or funny that makes me smile, in spite of myself. I am certain God created them that way so they would survive. It's their built in defense mechanism.
That takes the cake! Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard. What a funny boy. I always tense up when we walk by someone who looks different because you just can't know what to expect from a four year old. Luckily, Jonah has watched enough t.v. (atleast that's how I explain to myself why he hasn't ever piped up in front of a black person) that it doesn't even phase him. Good story!
Wow, Andrea and I commented at the very same moment. Weird...
That is weird.
What a funny story! Kids are just so innocent its cute!
I think that is such a funny story. I've had some of those moments where Cole has said something that embarrassed me, but was so funny at the same time. Don't you just love having kids?
Post a Comment